Thursday, April 24, 2008

In the Flow

It has been a very interesting week around these parts. Maple has been consistently waking up at 4:30 every morning. Sometimes going back to sleep eventually, sometimes not. We are starting to dialogue about how when I go to Denver in a little over a week (yikes!) we are going to be all done nursing. That’s it. This has been a very complicated decision for me as I love nursing my girl and really do feel that extended nursing is a very beneficial undertaking, really across the board. But, as they say, every situation is unique. And in order for me to best serve my family, that particular outflow of my energy needs to stop. So at any rate, I think that the early wake ups are part of her struggle with this transition, even though I do believe she is as ready as I.

It is interesting to be considering this choice on the week when we discuss Brahmachariya in yoga. Brahmachariya is translated as celibacy but also as one who sees the divine in all things, who walks with Brahma. I think of it as making choices that support and optimize our own use of energy. I once heard Brahmachariya as it applies to the householder as those joined by a single hearted love for God. If you think about it in these terms, when we are discriminate in the way that we use our energy, including our thoughts, actions, indulgences…. we have a more powerful energy to devote to our practices, our families, etc.. I am just recently try to regain the meditation and pranayama practice that disappeared with new motherhood. This is a challenge, but also so clearly contributes to my own wellbeing and that of my family, that it is clearly the appropriate choice for me. Even if it means weaning a little earlier than I had thought that I would. Something like that.

The only class that I am putting up this week is Tuesday mornings. In between the early mornings and getting ready to film a certification video before heading off to Colorado, it has been hard to keep all of the information as clear as usual. My apologies, but this sequence should actually work for everybody. Oh, and by the way, I will be filming on Tuesday, so I would love to have a big crowd. The more the merrier! I would love to see you all there!

  • 3 Surya Namaskar
  • Twisting Lunge
  • Vira 1 2x
  • Prasarita padotannasana (hands clasped behind)
  • Vasistasana 2x
  • Trikonasana
  • Ardhachandrasana
  • Anjaneyasana
  • Pigeon thigh stretch
  • (Partner) shalabasana
  • (Partner) Dhanurasana
  • Childs pose
  • Ustrasana
  • Baddha Konasana
  • Janu Sirsasana
  • Savasana

No comments: